Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fall Festivities

Sorry guys! I know its been a long time since I last wrote. But here I am, trying to become active again on this lazy Sunday. Since moving to Boston I have been trying to find my niche, meet people, and just get into a routine, which has been hard since we have lived in 3 different places in 3 months. But with October 1st, came our 3rd, and last (Thank God!) apartment that we will live in until at least next year. But with the feeling of not being at home, I tried to find activities that made me feel comfortable and more familiar with the area.

Since Mehmet works most of the time and doesn't get out much, it was basically up to me to find these things and then drag him along on his days off! =) He actually enjoys it though! So since Mehmet hasn't really done some of the typical American fall festival stuff, I thought this was the perfect chance to do so! Plus we had some great weather!

We started out with apple picking! I love the smell of fall weather and the taste of crisp, freshly picked apples. So, we headed out to a local farm about 45 minutes south of the city to partake in the apple picking fun! We took a train through the orchards and ended up picking gala apples (my fav), asian pears (his fav), and some plums and peaches! We went through a maze, climbed a hay pyramid, visited a petting zoo, ate some ice cream, and enjoyed the 70 degree sunshiny weather! It was an amazing day and we were both exhausted by the end of the day but it was definetly worth it! It was something I hadn't done in a couple years and something Mehmet had never done, so we were both thrilled to have done it together this year!
Taste testing the apples! =)


On top of the hay pyramid...

To continue with the fall festivities after a long day of errands together, we poured some blush wine, lit a candle called "Turkish Peach" (which smells amazing...), and started carving pumpkins! I haven't done this since I was little, so we were both excited to get started! First we chose our patterns, then gutted the pumpkins (making sure to save the seeds to cook later), and got right to it! We had a lot of fun together and even though we had a few pumpkin mishaps (like the decapitation of the cat on my pumpkin), at the end we had unique pumpkins, and large grins on our faces! In the process of carving pumpkins...

The end results! =)

The pumpkin seeds I cooked with olive oil, salt, and pepper...Mehmet liked them, I thought they were 'okay'

Anyways, looking back at the time I've been in Boston thus far, and these past four weeks specifically, it's not that important what we are doing, but that Mehmet and I get to do these things together and just experience and walk through life together.

I think this is something we should remember when we are having a bad day or are just plain grumpy, that the people around us are what matter most and we should be thankful for them. Thankful that they are there for us, there with us, and put up with us through good and bad times. Thanks to all my friends and family, and especially...

Thank you Askim!!!

For spending our days together, putting up with me when I am grumpy, and just always being there, even when I'm a pain!

1 comment:

papagan said...

Hello, I'm mother of Ozgur.I'm following you and Mehmet. That is nice blog. Congratulations